Tuesday

Tool #4: Moving Up to the Clouds

... Collaborating with the Google Apps Suite

What is cloud computing? What is a prosumer?
Cloud computing is Internet-based computing. The term “cloud” is used as a metaphor for the diagram commonly used in the past to explain the network or underlying infrastructure of the Internet. Users access the web-based tools and applications from providers via a web browser and use the software and store the data on servers managed and supported by the provider. Just as electricity is provided to customers - you pay for what you use - users are able to avoid costs on hardware and software by using the shared resources and software of Internet-based companies on demand.


http://tinyurl.com/36hhdjr
Also associated with the world of cloud computing, is the term Web 2.0 (and now Web 3.0 and 3.5). Web 2.0 is commonly associated with web applications that facilitate collaboration and interactivity on the Internet, an “architecture of participation.” The ability for users to “add value” to the application has helped to define the new term "prosumers", people who use these interactive environments on the web to both create and consume content. In the past, on the first-generation of the web, users were limited to the passive viewing of content or they needed to know HTML code to create. Today, anyone 
can create web pages to share their thoughts and ideas. Google is one of the companies that has capitalized on this platform and has made it easy to communicate, collaborate and create - in the clouds!



Google Apps

One of the most extensive free suite of  tools for the classroom that promotes communication, collaboration and creativity is Google Apps. SBISD became a "Google Apps District" in June 2010. Through Google Apps Education Edition, Spring Branch is able to offer teachers and students email, online documents, spreadsheets, forms, calendar, web sites and more with 24/7 access anywhere through an Internet connection. It is as easy as logging in with your network credentials! You are actually using one of the tools Blogger as your 11 Tools blog!


All that being said, it is important to note that a Google Apps account is different from a Google account. Think of it as a specialized Goolge Account! The district has the ability to control the tools available and is able to filter the content for CIPA compliance.

To login to Goolge Apps in SBISD, you must be a district staff member or a student. Access is through links on the SBISD Educational Technology page, the Library Resources page, or the Intranet Start page for teachers only where you actually login through the SB Portal, not through Google. All students in SBISD - Pre-K through 12th grade - are now provided with an email account for school business.Pre-K through 5 are able to send and receive emails to SBISD teachers and other elementary students in SBISD. Secondary students can email worldwide!
Occasionally a parent might request that the student not have access to email. But not having access to email does NOT keep a student from being able to use all of the other tools in the Google Apps suite. Students can still create and share documents, presentations, websites and more with peers and teachers. This video shows how to log in to your SBISD Google Apps account.
video
Creating and sharing documents in Google Docs is a different mindset than the way we have shared documents in the past. No longer are you going to send a document as an attachment in a email! The Common Craft video will quickly explain the value of this new way of working!



Students and teachers need not worry about Mac - PC software conflicts, where the document was saved, access to SAN folders or remembering to download documents to flash drives. Everything is stored on servers that are access through any browser. Students can begin assignments in class, work on them in the library or in another classroom, and complete them at home. Teachers no longer need to print out reams of papers to mark-up each draft for revisions and editing. Google Docs, included in the Google Apps suite, supports online interaction - both synchronous and asynchronous - through commenting and real-time editing. Comprehensive revision history allows teachers and students to see the evolution of a project/paper from start to finish, as well as the contributions of each team member.



Google Forms
One of the coolest tools in Google Docs is the Form tool. Make professional looking forms to collect data/information via the web or email in minutes, with this easy to use tool! Forms supports a variety of question types - multiple choice, short answer, scale and more using a very user-friendly interface.. Teachers and students can quickly create forms to collect student information, project progress, reflections on readings, pre-tests, quizzes, surveys - the list is endless. Here's a quick look!





We have just touched the tip of the iceberg of Google Apps here! Google Sites, Google Reader, and Blogger (just to name a few) are all part of Google Apps now and are great ways to work collaboratively in classrooms. Please take some time to explore the options available to you and your students. For specific short tutorials on just about every tool in the suite, log into Atomic Learning. Here is a webpage with links to the tutorials in Atomic Learning!


If all of this information about Google Docs is old news to you, we encourage you to expand your toolbox and send some time with some of the other services that are now available in Google Apps!



For your Tool #4 post in your blog:

1. Create at least one document in Google Docs and share it with a few others on your campus or within your department. It could a team member, a department colleague, or another teacher with whom you plan a collaboration. Ask that person to comment or chat and real-time edit the document with you.
2. Create one form in Google Docs and send it via email to at least two other people and ask them to respond.
3. Briefly discuss how you can use the tools in Google Apps with your team or department. How can you incorporate Google Apps as a tool in your classroom? Which tools are you excited about using with students?




Moving On... Tool #5: Producing with Web 2.0 Tools

31 comments:

  1. I think that Google forms will be helpful in the classroom to track student progress. I'd like to teach my students how to keep track of their own progress as well. Google docs. will be useful for keeping up with school events, especially testing schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forms are good for tracking srudent progress. Teach them to track their own progress. Docs don't need attachments, good for keepingntrack of school events and testing schedules

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video on Google Forms is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I emailed my form to several participants, but also embedded the form on the blog to see what results I would get. We used the blog last year on a regular basis for several types of activities. Even though our students have access to Google Docs as we do, embedding a form on the class blog would be a quick easy way for them to continue participating in a more routine way with daily activities or to provide online feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that the Google forms YouTube video has been removed by the user, did anyone save it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can use Google Docs with my team to collaborate lesson plans. Being in a self contained classroom does not allow me to plan with my team on a daily basis so by using Google Apps. they can send me links to sites and allow me to add my input to the lessons.
    By using Google Apps in my classroom it will allow the student a since of independency when creating work but also allow me to view the work and still control what the students are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The YouTube video on Google Forms was no longer available when I tried to view it today. It said the video was removed by the user. Thought I would let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used Google Docs with success in the classroom to have students co-author a work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting first time for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love that the kids can share a document with me, and I can print it out. Some of my students do not have access to a printer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use Google docs to teach my students to create a photo story. We share them with other students so show off our creativity. Great stories from great kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can use google docs with my colleagues to collaborate on creating assignments. I can use google docs formes to create tests for my students. I can then share these tests with other colleagues
    i am most excited about using the Google Docs forms to create tests, ought to mke my life a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had alot of trouble with Tool #3. I got help and figured out how to embed a video to blog and put photos in dropbox.
    I will probably need help next time to refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the by far the most user friendly tool I've seen by far.
    I can use google docs with my colleagues to collaborate on creating assignments. I can use google docs formes to create tests for my students. I can then share these tests with other colleagues
    i am most excited about using the Google Docs forms to create tests, ought to mke my life a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Google Apps will make lesson planning a dream. It will also hasten the process of sharing classroom activities with teammates. Being able to upload assessment documents from Google Apps will save so much time and paper. I'm certainly "in the clouds" with Google Apps. It's a wonderful tool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have used Google Docs for a number of shared documents. We have created a slide show to set up vocabulary for students to use, spreadsheets for student schedules and of course documents to share with colleagues. I have never used Google Forms, but I can't wait to try it. Look out, kiddos, a quiz is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Google docs is an excellent way for students to turn in assignments without running into typo email addresses or the assignments getting lost "in the clouds"

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have some experience with Google Docs and can see the benefits of learning more about it. I have shared documents with my teaching partner when writing grants, working on combined tests and we share our vocabulary information with each other and with our students.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We already use Google docs to share our vocabulary information with parents, teachers and my teaching partner. Also we can work on our integrated lesson plans at home, communicating and sharing with each other. We use different colors to edit so we can see what has been changed and by whom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Google forms will be helpful. I look forward to working on lessons with my team.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mind is buzzing as I think of ways to use Google Docs and forms to increase efficiency and use less paper!.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello! I LOVE these apps from Google! It would make it a lot easier to share classroom lists from teacher to teacher. Especially for those of us that are departmentalized. This way, I can send my coworkers the list of students which we will be sharing as a 4th grade team! That's just an example, the possibilities are endless :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I will be using google forms often with my team. It is a great resource for people who have trouble finding the time for quick meetings in person. Online resources give us the benefit to work when we can.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am amazed with all the things you can do with Google apps. The Google form is really neat and I can't wait to familiarize myself with it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think creating the google forms was easy. However , finding people to respond is difficult considering many of my colleagues are still on summer vacation. I look forward to using this program to include the parents of my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Google Docs (spreadsheets, presentations, etc.) will be an extremely useful tool when planning with my team and my department. Real-time editing is way more efficient than trying to work on the same document separately...it allows for more effective collaboration with regards to lesson planning, presentations, or any kind of planning for that matter. It is also a platform that can allow me and my grade level team to track information about students.

    I am really excited about using brainpop for games/videos in my classroom to increase student engagement, in addition to standard apps like youtube. Easybib is always great, too, in any curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the Forms app...Will look forward to using it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Google forms is helpful to track progress and receive feed back. I also used Google Docs to share some work I did for the math department

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just copied and pasted from my desktop files an Xcel basic control list with my new student names, in both sections. It worked perfectly. I was a little hesitant to try, thinking about compatibility, but there was no problem. This tool will be a great facilitator for sharing data with my peers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been using and teaching Google Apps in my class for almost 3 years now. I love to be able to email the students their work. We use almost all of the basic programs in Google Apps. We share things, email, create docs and spreadsheets. File organization is also important and easy to learn in Google Drive. My team and I do not use it as much as we should but I am moving in that direction. We use the network shared drives but more and more I share folders with Google Apps.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Definitely will be using Google Forms and Google Docs!!

    ReplyDelete